Shark Tank India, a business reality television series began airing on December 2021 featuring aspiring entrepreneurs pitching their business ideas to a panel of successful investors, known as “sharks,” in the hopes of securing funding and mentorship.
- One of the major influences of Shark Tank India has been bringing visibility to the Indian startup ecosystem. The show has provided a platform for Indian entrepreneurs to showcase their ideas to a global audience, helping India mark itself as a destination for innovation and entrepreneurship on the map.
- The show has helped create awareness about the possibilities of entrepreneurship among the general public in India, where finding work has traditionally been valued more highly than starting a business. The show has altered public perceptions about the potential of entrepreneurship. This has increased the number of entrepreneurs in India and cultivated an angel investing culture, supporting the government of India’s “Make in India”
- The sharks on the show provide valuable feedback and guidance to entrepreneurs, fostering mentorship culture. The youth of India has embraced business terminologies and concepts discussed by sharks, which have become incredibly popular, raising social media engagement and memes owed to shark tank.
- A competitive atmosphere has been encouraged by the show to boost innovative ideas and strategies to attract the attention of the sharks, helping businesses to think out of the box and come up with new business models benefiting entrepreneurs to grow their business and investors to get better returns on their investment.
- Talking about the possibilities of entrepreneurship Shark Tank India features “Zillionaire” a lifestyle jewelry brand that offers ‘bling jewellery’ primarily made of silver and/or cubic zirconia that operates on a direct-to-customer model on its verified Instagram handle with over 76k followers. The brand secured a deal of ₹1 crore for 10% equity from shark Anupam Mittal.